Monday, January 26, 2009

On capturing those memorable moments

A good part of the past week has been filled with sorting through thousands of digital images I've captured at different parish events over the past several years. I was on a specific hunt - Jossie, and another friend who's seriously ill with a recurrence of pancreatic cancer.

I hadn't realized until I started the project just how many events I covered (not to mention another 3 just yesterday), nor how many images I have stored (about 8000 just for St Matthias). While there were some pleasant memories resurrected, a great amount of the time was spent wiping tears away so I could better assess the sharpness of any given picture.

Having a "good eye" for composition and capturing just the right moment is a gift. While I might joke with others that the right equipment really does all the work for you, I'm also the first to admit that God has blessed me with the ability to use all that Pentax stuff in a very effective way.

Photographic skills and talent, though, bring with them an almost overwhelming responsibility. I never know what memories I'll be able to help others cherish just because I happened to be present for a specific moment.

I was able to share some photos with the current RCIA crew this weekend, as well as provide some special extra shots for her family, godchildren, and closest friends. I also passed along some 400+ shots to my friend who is building a memory book for his children ...

Privileges like this - heartbreakingly priceless.

PS - Happy New Year Nancy, Stacy, and your families!

No comments: