Wednesday, January 21, 2009

On Music: My Soundtrack (part 1 of what will be many, I'm sure)

Music, in many forms, has played an important role in my life. From my very early days collecting 45s and waiting impatiently for the week's Top 10 on my transistor radio to the present, I'm energized when surrounded by the sounds of voices, other instruments, and syncopated (or not) rhythms.

My most active musical time was certainly during my Douglass College days. I'll save the details for another post, but use the reference as a preamble to where I'm at today.

I've let happen what a younger me would certainly be embarrassed over ... I've really not kept current with ever-emerging sources of music.

One group, in particular, keeps coming in and out of my environment and my experiences, and I've taken steps to explore them further: U2. Yes, I know they've been around long enough for eligibility for entrance into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Truth is, they didn't reach the US shores until well after I completed my undergrad degree, a clear line of demarcation in my ongoing music formation

From John Dear's A Persistent Peace (which I have finished reading, btw) to President Obama's pre-inaugural concert, Bono and buddies have been impatiently tapping on my shoulder to lend them an ear. I have, right now, Achtung Baby and their U218 Singles sitting right next to me, and am waiting for their How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb to arrive by mail.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: